Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pseudo Sisters- Part One

Yesterday was National Cherry Cobbler Day. Scout’s honor. Check it out. And in honor of such a sweet treat, I want to talk about what I believe to be two of the sweetest treats this life has to offer: my two pseudo sisters.

I don’t have sister. At least not a ‘for real’ sister. I used to stay awake at night when I was little and beg and plead to God for a sister of my very own. Although He didn’t answer my prayers in the exact way I’d had in mind, He did give me the best pseudo sisters I could ever have imagined.

Meet pseudo sister numero uno: the amazing Kara Leigh

I do believe dear ole' Pam Brown (whomever she might be) was talking about us when she said this:

Sisters don't need words. They have perfected a language of snarls and smiles and frowns and winks - expressions of shocked surprise and incredulity and disbelief. Sniffs and snorts and gasps and sighs - that can undermine any tale you're telling.




Kara and I met in college (which we both believe is way too late in life- I hate thinking we missed out on roughly twenty years of possible friendship. However, I also hate thinking of all the trouble we most certainly would have gotten into had we been friends during high school, so I suppose it was for our own good). Although I adored her from the first meet and greet, it took her a little longer to warm up to me. Can’t say I blame her; I’m fully aware of the fact that I live life at a ten, full volume, dial turned all the way up, speakers ready to bust. While Kara, like most people, resides at a happy level four.
Anyway, it didn’t take long before we were of the inseparable sort. And we’ve been all but glued at the hip ever since.



However, I think we are different in more ways than we’re alike.

She’s a peanut butter and jelly kid; I’m a turkey on wheat kind of gal.
She’s great at math; I have trouble balancing my checkbook.
She always looks great; I always look like I just rolled out of bed.
She majored in elementary education; I heart older kids.
We don’t always agree on what looks best, tastes best, smells best, or IS the best. She’s also one of the few people in my life who isn’t afraid to tell me when I’m being rude or to point out that I’m wrong (which, believe it or not, is quite often). She isn’t afraid to argue with me or tell me when she doesn’t agree. She’s not a “uh-huh that sounds great” kind of friend; she’s the friend in my life who challenges me the most. And I could not possibly be more thankful for her.
The fact that we don’t always share the same brain is what I think makes us the most like real-life sisters. She isn’t afraid to hurt my feelings, and I appreciate that more than she knows. No, I’m not a gluten for punishment—I just think that too often we tell each what we WANT to hear rather than what we NEED to hear, and occasionally hearing that I messed up or could have done differently from someone whom I love and respect has done me a world of good.

 And despite the sometimes bumps in our road, there is no one on this planet who ‘gets me’ like Kara. She laughs at my jokes because she truly thinks that I’m funny (I happen to agree ;) ). When she tells me how talented she thinks I am, it’s because she means it and NOT because she feels obligated.
We’re like an old married couple on so many levels. She knows when I need to be comforted, understands when I’m just in a ‘fuss about it’ kind of mood, and makes me laugh like no one else can. When I’ve had an especially bad day, the one thing I crave more than anything else is a Sonic run with Kara Leigh. THAT is a guaranteed fix-all, at least momentarily.

Her daughter is my daughter’s life-long best friend.

Note: They truly do love each other. However, it’s a darn good thing, because Libby and Lily loving each other and playing well was really non-optional. They had to or else all that time they spend together sure will be miserable for everyone involved.



I haven’t seen her smiling face for several months now, and I’m about to go insane and need to spend some time in the ‘wack shack’ to be treated for Kara withdrawals. But, if all goes as planned, Kara and Lily will be here in twenty-three days and counting. There are fun times to be had, bloggers.

This trip is sure to include: late nights filled with stuffing our faces and Grey’s reruns, adventures with the water hose, talk of the beach and how we wish we were there, the baking of sweet treats, a beloved Sonic run, a snow cone adventure, and laughing until we almost wet our pants.



Now if only she didn’t live so darn far away, my world would truly be a better place.

*** Sit tight, friends. Pseudo Sisters- Part Two is coming soon.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.