Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2011: A Year in Movies

Lee and I watch a LOT of movies. Seriously, I think we might keep Netflix in business.

Here are the movies we saw that came out in 2011....at least the ones I can remember.
 It's been a long year. Don't judge.

Also, you'll notice some serious variety amongst these selections. What can I say-- opposites attract.

I've ranked them the best I can on a scale of  one to five stars.

Transformers ***
X-Men: First Class ***
Thor **
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II *****
Captain America **
The Green Hornet *
 Green Lantern ***
Water for Elephants ***
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides **
Super 8 ***
Fast Five ***
Rango *
The Help *****
Rio **
Battle: Los Angeles **
Cowboys and Aliens **
Limitless **
Crazy Stupid Love ***
I Am Number Four ***
Season of the Witch **
Take Me Home Tonight *
Beastly **
Bridesmaids ***
The Adjustment Bureau ****
Just Go With It ***
Source Code ***
The Dilemma *
Gnomeo and Juliet ***
Bad Teacher ***
Prom ***
The Eagle **
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules ***
The Lincoln Lawyer ****
Zoo Keeper **
Horrible Bosses **
Something Borrowed ***
Soul Surfer *****
Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer ***
How Does She Do It **
Courageous *****

Top  picks for families:



Love this movie's message about choosing how to handle the bad things that life sometimes brings and to rely on and trust in God always. Warning: the shark scene is a little scary for young viewers. Libby was fine, but Libby is not overly sensitive. It might bother young children, but to me the message warranted the one scary scene. We avoid bad language and kissing scenes and anything violent, but this real life story was well worth the message it sent to Libby.


Again, this movie sends a great message. However, it too has some real-life grown-up scenes. Libby hasn't seen it yet, but once we get a chance, we will watch it with her and explain to her about how the family worked together to overcome their heart-breaking situation. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, but be sure to have plenty of Kleenex.

Overall Favorites:



I like movies that keep me on my toes and get my heart racing. This movie reminded me of a John Grisham story, and Matthew McConaughey didn' hurt either.


It's rare that I think the movie does the book justice. This one was filmed in Lee's hometown, and I absolutely adored it. I highly recommend it if you are one of the last people out there who haven't yet seen it.


Love. Love. Love. Perfect ending. That's all I have to say about that.


Overall, 2011 was not my favorite movie year. 
Most every movie seemed to be overflowing with bad morals and terrible decisions.
 I hate the fact that I have to tell my kids to leave the room or change the channel or push pause in almost every film that came out this year.  If it wasn't the raunchy scenes,
 it was the language or the drugs or the skimpy clothes or the violence. 
 Am I the only one out there who wishes there were more movies
 about families trying to be families?
Fingers crossed for better films in 2012.


What was YOUR favorite movie that came out this year??????
I'm sure we missed some.
Recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.