Friday, July 19, 2013

Juggling and Dropping and Guest Posting.... OH MY



Hey, friends. 
This morning (by that I really mean this week), I'm feeling like one of those clowns at the circles, who in an attempt to juggle about twelve different things, drops them all on his head on his head. Yup, that's me...juggling and dropping and feeling a tad overwhelmed with all the adoption and family visiting and crazy kiddos who can't play outside because it's raining. None of these are terrible, but the combo is not working for me today...like pizza and peanut butter. Apart? Delish. Together? Not so much. 

So, I'm taking a little blogging break today and bringing you some words from my friend Laura. 
She blogs here and is happily awaiting the arrival of her first son next week. 
He will join their family via domestic adoption, and I'm waiting to see his little face like I'm waiting on the premier of the new season of Parenthood

Here are some words from Laura. 
Check out her blog. 
She's funny. 




Adoption: Not for Control Freaks...Or is it?

As McCall recently said... Adoption is hard, y'all.

I'm going to go ahead and admit something right here:  I am a control FREAK.

Anyone that I knows me is probably throwing some Hallelujah Hands up. 

It's true though. I tend to be very particular, and I like things to go according to plan. My plan, preferably. I like my ducks in a row, my eggs counted, and my socks in the dirty hamper. (Do you hear that, husband?) I think this is probably my reaction to some pretty life altering events: growing up with someone with a mental illness, my mother's death, even my house burning down a few years ago. The more things that "went wrong," the more I tried to control everything else.

Adoption was a wake up call. 

My husband and I have known for years that we wanted to adopt, regardless of our fertility status. It was something we felt called to. We always assumed it would be international. Wrong. We also assumed that we'd have the luxury of time to prepare. Wrong.

Let me just say that God was working here. 

We finally decided one day a few months ago that this was the time to get our "house in order." We were going to start putting money back and find an agency. The best laid plans, y'all.

That night, we received a phone call about an expectant mother wanting an open adoption. What?!  I didn't hesitate to say yes.  A week later, we were in an open adoption plan for a baby boy to be born a short 120-odd days later. We had no adoption savings built up, no baby things, nothing! We had been taking for granted that our calling was International Adoption and a long wait. But we heard God calling for this immediate need. This baby needed us. This situation needed us.

This entire journey has been a lesson in releasing control, enjoying the experience, and trusting the Lord. He, literally, brought us to it, and He, definitely, is bringing us through it. We are overjoyed at how it has been fitted together, knowing completely that domestic open adoption is a perfect fit for us right now. 

So if you think, "Gosh, I could never do that..."  Think again. If you feel the calling, jump in with both feet. The time may never be perfect. The money may not be right there. But God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.