Monday, May 19, 2014

Overwhelmed.




There's dinner to cook, hair to wash, and dishes to scrub.
The dog needs a bath, the girls need to bathe, and heck-- I could use a shower myself.
Are the uniforms clean?
Did I remember to do the 9,987 things on my to-do list today?
When was the last time I talked to my mom?
There are e-mails to answer, texts to respond to, and calls to return.
There is adoption paperwork to complete, funds that need raising, and I have to get fingerprinted...again.

And don't even get me started on the end of the year-- I've literally had to ask Libby when her last day is....twice. I feel like I'm literally crawling over that finish line this year, forehead sweating, heart pounding, knees weak, and clutching my side in an attempt to catch my breath. That pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about the end of school (it's Thursday, by the way). I keep forgetting. It's like I have a mental block. In fact, if my planner is not in my hand, please don't ask me when anything is, because I can all but promise you that I won't remember.

 Teachers' gifts?
 Haven't bought 'em.
Something fun to celebrate the start of summer?
Haven't planned it.
I'm doing well to just dress myself and feed my kids these days, folks.

Some days are just like that- I wake up and go to bed feeling overwhelmed.
There are so many things I have to do, combined with all the things I want to do, combined with all the things I need to do-- basically there are just too many things to do.

If I've learned anything from the adoption process, I'd have to say it's perspective. Some things simply aren't worth my time and energy. When I say yes too many times and stretch myself too thin-- nothing good is going to come from that. Would I rather be the girl who can't say no or  the girl who picks her battles? Would I rather be the girl who does 100 things or the girl who does ten things well and still has some brain power left at the end of the day?

While I'll always be that girl who likes her plate fuller than most (yes, this can also apply to my literal plate-- the one typically filled with cookies), I am also the girl who is learning that life's a great balancing act. And part of being a good balancer (real word? I'm gonna say that it is.) is knowing when enough is enough. What things have to stay on my plate? What things would I really like to keep on my plate? And what do I simply need to let go of?

Overwhelmed? It's not my favorite way to feel. But you know what? There's always tomorrow-- and tomorrow is full of all things fresh and new and hopefully well-rested.

2 comments:

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.