Monday, August 4, 2014

My Happy Place.



Africa. 
I want to go back. 
I NEED to go back. 

It's my happiest of happy places. 

That's such a funny thing to say. 
Africa is hard. 
The things I see, the things I hear; life in Africa is far from easy. 
And yet, I am the happiest version of myself when I'm there. 

Life since falling in love with this land far, far away has been tough. 
It's meant sacrificing, giving, lots of tears, many sleepless nights, 
and lots of moments feeling alone and totally misunderstood. 
Africa has changed me from the inside out. 
And I couldn't be happier about it. 

Africa has helped me to see what's really important in life. 
It's not things. 
It's not recognition. 
It's not accomplishing great things. 
It's about serving God and loving others. 

The people in Africa know what it means to love their neighbors. 
They know what it means to take care of one another. 
Children are treasured, and families are everything. 
I have learned so much from these beautiful people and this beautiful place. 

And yet, I know I still have so much left to learn. 

I think I could travel to Africa a hundred more times and still be aching for just one more trip, just one more day, just one more moment. 

Today, I'm missing everything there is to miss about Africa-- 
the smells, the sounds, the way the sun feels on my face, the food, and the people. 

But most of all, I'm  missing the person I am when I'm there
 and the overwhelmingly joy it brings to my heart. 


Will I go back? 
You can bet it. 
Will it be soon enough? 
No way; no how. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love this post! Africa is my happy place too! I've been home from Ethiopia less than two months and praying God opens doors to return quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Cool people leave comments. Comments make me happy. You do the math.